10.12.2010

i'm winning i'm winning!

sunday was the riverfront mountain bike race in melvern put on by my roommate lelan. i planned on racing and going out to be supportive but and i started out the day not feeling too whippy. i hadn't slept well so i thought about calling in sick, but figured i could sleep later, riding my bike might help me out a bit.
i got there early to pre ride a lap. i'd ridden it this summer when the idea of the race was just being thrown out there, but it was literally 100 degrees...aaaaand i had bronchitis, so my memory of the trail was a little skewed. the pre ride was great and it felt good to get moving. the trail was f.a.n.tastic! pretty technical, but SO exciting! i did endo, however, over a pesky rock. wasn't moving quickly so it wasn't too bad, but i have some nasty bruises on my legs and i've been picking thistles out of my skin for the past few days. you may feel sorry for me, but there's something satisfying about being the only girl out there getting right back up to kick some butt after a wreck.
a few friends had come out to cheer me on. i was really excited to see norma jean out there! she came to ride a lap, clear the cobwebs, visit some old buddies from melver, and be my cheerleader!
race started, and i really was the only girl in my class. me and a bunch of boys. that's how it usually is lol. i let most of them go ahead of me at the beginning, but was wishing i hadn't when they were walking parts of the course i wanted to ride...and then i stopped feeling good again. let's just say i was the only one in my class doing that kind of cramping. another sense of satisfaction in feeling tougher than some of the boys!
as i passed the cheering section, i yelled, "i'm winning!" and kept giggling at myself for being clever. i felt better after my first lap and knew since i was the only girl, i'd be winning the camelback i wanted.
now, i know alot of people say talking to yourself makes you sound crazy, but i'd have to disagree. i think it's one of the most intelligent things you can do for yourself. you're objectively taking a situation into your logical mind and coaching yourself to do something better. so i do it alot on the trail. at one point i said to myself, "anne marie, just because you're not racing against any other girls does not mean you're not racing against yourself. now get in the game!" i should really be a motivational speaker :)
the last lap was a little sloppy since and was playing a little human pinball with the trees, so i slowed down a bit. i finished up and people clapped for me, which i thought was sweet. i got to hang out and watch all the sport and experts do their race, ending up for an awesome day of bikes.
thursday is fall break and i'm going to las vegas for a friend's wedding, so i won't be racing this weekend, but i think i'll be enjoying myself :)
later taters!

No comments: